Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dissociative Identity Disorder Never Sleeps

Suzie has 20 or more Parts, we think and hope the majority have been transitioned into the Dome, a safe place of light. There are several known Parts outside the Dome, in the dark. Parts interact in groups or alone. Some help others with projects and daily care. Recently Suzie has experienced a great deal of stress and conflict. Parts have been moving back and forth between the Dome and darkness. There has been memory work and conflict resolution with C the therapist.

In addition, I have had conversations with several Parts who are upset with my writing. They feel exposed and compromised. In the past a well meaning professional reported the father's rape to the police. This was done after assuring Suzie he could be trusted with the truth, after all it couldn't be that bad could it? After learning it could be that bad, he did what was required by law. The exposure and resulting "he said" vs "she said" with the all male police was very traumatic to the System. The mother would not corroborate the abuse and the case was dropped for lack of evidence. As a result, "telling the truth" has been greatly feared and avoided at any cost. I was not aware of the full story and have promised to discuss my work with any Part I name in the future.

This week I was awakened by different Parts having difficulties. All of the Parts have been in the dome and alone. They wake me softly crying my name. One was separated and lost from the group, one had fallen in a hole, and one was stranded alone during a storm. In each case I ask the Part to identify herself and tell me her age. This allows me to know if we have a history. If I know the Part it is easier to help right away. I calm her, try to determine the problem and suggest a solution. If I do not know them, I need to establish rapport and trust, then use the same method to solve the problem. The Dome, like the human mind is capable of all things. One of it's amazing features is the Rope. The Rope can hold, protect and guide a Part. It also appears on demand. I reminded each Part this week about the Rope, I told them to sing out "Rope" and it appeared and then I urged the Part to tell the Rope what was needed, to guide them to the safe house, to pull them out of the hole or to take them to Grandma. As they were moving away, I reminded them I am here to help, to never be afraid to ask me for anything and that I love them. This kind of help and support is initially foreign to the Parts and they are often skeptical and afraid. I think the System has been so severely hurt and abused it is afraid to trust and afraid what is given may soon be withdrawn and replaced with abuse.

Imagine the effort it takes Suzie to live not only her life on the surface, but also the 20 or more lives inside. Each life is a separate entity unto itself, with different thoughts, experiences, and identity. They never sleep, they are only more or less active. They all may be talking and thinking at the same time, all expressing some thought, opinion or concern, all different. Imagine trying to make sense of the cacophony of sound and activity. Imagine trying to think something on your own, to move against the stream of consciousness. It overwhelms me.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad Suzie and everyone else has The Dome. Having a safe place for myself and my parts has been invaluable in times of crisis. In this last post I was reminded of a time that I woke up severely stressed and one part, Amanda, was crying with that deep sobbing cry that can break a heart. I have a separate bedroom from my husband (for reasons that span him snoring to sometimes I need to sleep alone) and I just ran into his room and jumped into his bed. He held us and told us we were safe and it was very comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    This is Liza - one of "Suzie's" people...I'm NOT in the dome. Can you tell me this...does it scare you to be married to a man? I mean I know nothing about you or any of these people that are said to be inside you...but how if a male was a hurter, could you even think about being with one? This boggles my mind how women continue to have relations with males who continue to fuck up left and right while nobody gives a damn, ya know?! I HAVEN'T met any worth their wait in anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liza. I really get this question. One of me is a lesbian and for a long time I struggled with what the heck I was going to do about being married. I've been married for 22 years. We have become best friends. For the first 10 years of our marriage my husband was not "in tune" with me sexually at all and I was an alcoholic and not aware that I had DID. I was unable to say "no" to sex and we had a very one-sided sexual relationship. When I finally felt all the feelings I had about that it was pretty intense. We went through a period when we didn't have any sex at all. Now I have complete control of our sex life. It's not very fulfilling, but it doesn't damage me any more. I don't know if that will ever get better. I still dissociate when we have sex, except for maybe once a year or so. After those times, I am extremely emotional and vulnerable. I don't think I could handle those experiences more than once a year. He has become my best friend, and is very supportive, and really grounds me. I would never want to lose this deep friendship we have. It was very difficult to decide to stay with him and not pursue a relationship with a woman, but I feel like despite the fact I have given up what would feel like a safe sexual life, I have gained a deep friendship and really a soul mate to walk this journey with. He is a safe person that I trust. I have come to trust him like this only in the past 3 years or so....and not all of us trust him completely. But we don't trust anyone completely. btw, your question really made my heart pound. It's so freakin' legitimate. And it causes a lot of ache to think of giving up on a fulfilling sex life. I'm getting old, tho, and in peri-menopause, so wtf. I had to make a decision and I went with the deep friendship. Life is like that - can't have everything I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah
    This is Suzie. First of all I want to say I'm sorry on behalf of my part Liza. She doesn't have a lot of tact and is lacking in manners to say the least. She is one of my angrier parts who doesn't know how to express her feelings very well. She had no business asking you what she did. Even if it was a legitimate question to her she still had no right. She doesn't know you and it put you on the spot to defend yourself when YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG! I think what you seem to now have with your husband is beautiful and it works well for you. I am happy for you that you have that relationship. I thank you for being so open and sharing with us. I just hope we didn't cause any distress in the process.

    ReplyDelete